Daesik Kim, the South Korean entrepreneur who built Bithumb into one of the world’s biggest cryptocurrency exchanges, has embarked on a new venture, joining digital payments protocol group Bezant as Chief Cryptocurrency Officer.
The move, announced today by Bezant, comes as the cryptocurrency sector in South Korea, and its exchanges in particular, adjust to the government’s ban of initial coin offerings (ICOs) in October.
Kim joins Bezant as the Southeast Asia-focused firm looks to raise a total of USD 40 million from its ICO, having already pulled in USD 6.28 million in a private sale, according to a press release.
In his new role, Kim will drive business, product, strategy, and partnerships for the company which operates primarily in the digital entertainment and e-commerce space. He sees developed markets as ripe for disruption, as well as growth opportunities in emerging ones.
“Digital entertainment and e-commerce are expanding faster in emerging markets such as Southeast Asia, more so than in the US and China over the next four years,” Kim said. “Developed markets are dominated by a few incumbents that charge high commission fees, offering limited payment options, which are plagued by high exchange fees, bank charges, and payment delays.”
Bezant said its private blockchain network enables fluid payments and allows secure and reliable microtransactions, which are transparent and cost-efficient. The protocol avoids cryptocurrencies’ common problems of higher fees and slower transaction speeds, the release stated.
“With 600 million people in Southeast Asia, a large majority of which are unbanked, Bezant aims to disrupt digital payments and content distribution by applying blockchain and cryptocurrency to eliminate these barriers for buyers and sellers. Bezant’s protocol will minimize transaction fees, provide a decentralised rewards mechanism for sellers to build customer loyalty, establish a transparent rating system on sellers, and enable customers to make borderless payments using their local method,” Kim added.
Website link: https://bezant.io
- UN-Backed Awards Scheme Seeks Startups in Cross-Border Money Transfer Innovation – March 6, 2018
- Cloud Alliance Partners With Guardtime to Secure Blockchain MOO Store – March 5, 2018
- Bithumb Founder Daesik Kim Joins Bezant to Expand Borderless Payments in SE Asia – March 5, 2018
- Vaultbank Beta Launch Puts Tokens and Funds on One Exchange – March 5, 2018
- COBINHOOD Rolls Out Mobile Apps for High Speed Trading – March 5, 2018
- TrustedHealth Plans ICO to Democratize Access to Medical Specialists – March 2, 2018
- Overstock’s tZERO Rejigs ICO Plans Amid SEC Probe – March 1, 2018
- Harbor Urges ICO Issuers to Embrace R-Token as Standard and Close US Regulatory Gap – March 1, 2018
- Crypto Will Be Massive for Online Gaming: Survey – March 1, 2018
- E-Sports Streamer Play2Live Broadcasts First Crypto Prize Tournament – March 1, 2018
- VeganNation Launches Sharing Economy Token Presale – February 28, 2018
- VC Fund Erne Ventures Shifts From Gaming to Blockchain – February 28, 2018
- Blockchain App Development Platform Lisk Relaunches in Berlin – February 28, 2018
- Dubai Launches Blockchain Pilot for Academic Records – February 27, 2018
- High Street Crypto Payments Within Two Years: Report – February 26, 2018
- Cross-Blockchain Lending Platform, Lendingblock, Counts Down to ICO Presale – February 26, 2018
- Blockchain Video-on-Demand Startup Inks Industry Agreements – February 23, 2018